Are you about to begin a building project?
Then it’s important that a detailed site investigation (SI) is organised to assess ground conditions. This is probably the most important pre-development document. All too often, many developers skimp on SI scope in order to save pennies, but end up spending extra pounds on remediation and foundation solutions through lack of detailed definition of ground conditions. If only they had invested more in investigation!
A geo-environmentnal assessment looks at the effects on flora and fauna that chemical (contaminative) content of soils and groundwater might have, and the ability of the ground to sustain the loadings that will be imparted by buildings, roads and services.
Whatever the size of your land, site investigations will be designed to ensure that you benefit from a high standard of service from our team. We will provide a detailed breakdown, ensuring we have all the information we need to propose the most economic solution to any issues that the investigation presents, and, most important, how any problems can be resolved economically.
The process starts with us finding out (through exploratory holes, sampling and testing) what diffciulties the ground may present. Much like a doctor might interrogate your personal background, and carry out intrusive investigations, such as biopsy, we review a site’s history and then carry out physical investigations of both the soils & the underlying groundwater.
The stages in the process are, typically:
- Preliminary Risk Assessment (previously known as a ‘Phase 1’ study or Desk Study)
- Phase 2: intrusive investigations, leading to the preparation of a Geo-environmental report
- Human Health & Groundwater Risk Assessments
- Remedial option report
- Agreement of a Remedietion Strategy – with the regulating authorities (the local authority contaminated land officer – sometimes called an environment officer, and the Environment Agency)
- Remedial Action Plan -what physical measures are necessary to enable the implementation fo the Strategy
- Intermediate sampling & testing of the ground during the remediation process
- Verification that that the strategy has been implemented on completion of the remediation works.